Sunday, December 19, 2010

Building Your Wardrobe

This is something I have struggled with lately...what pieces should be in every closet? While its in no way limiting or restricting, here are some things that I believe should be your "staples" or "key pieces":

- A good pair of jeans. Of course you need hundreds of jeans, but you should definitely have at least the one, really soft, really well fitting, go-to pair. For me, it's a boot cut pair of Joe's Jeans. I had to get them tailored to fit perfectly, but it was definitely worth it!

Joe's Jeans 'Provacateur' Bootcut, $167, nordstrom.com


-A Black Blazer. A Blazer can dress up a pair of jeans or a dress, can be fitted or loose, comes in a trillion different colors. Its so versatile, which is why its a must have. I would probably suggest a neutral color such as black or navy for starters.

Silence & Noise Boyfriend Blazer, $49 urbanoutfitters.com


- Little Black Dress. I'm not so big on it, because I can never seem to find one I truly like, or actually wear it if I had it...but seriously it's pretty basic and important. So many accessories could go with it, you could probably wear it for a month straight and no one would even notice. You can dress it up or dress it down. So I guess it should be a staple.

Minkpink A little Bit Spesh Mesh Dress $86.20, asos.com


-A good pair of boots. This is especially essential if you live in a place that gets cold, like me. A good starter boot would probably be one in a neutral color like tan/beige, black or grey. Its also important to put a little money behind it so you know they will last.

Corso Como 'Randy' Boot, $198.95, nordstrom.com


-Black or Nude Pumps. If you get a good enough pair, they could probably last you the rest of your life. They certainly will never go out of style, you can dress them up or down, and they will go with everything. In an ideal world, they'd be Louboutins...but the world isn't so ideal all the time. Fortunately, there are plenty of cheaper options out there.

Christian Louboutin Simple 100 Suede Pumps $595, saksfifthavenue.com

- The perfect t-shirt. I'm not talking about a Hanes t-shirt you can get at wal-mart. Those are nice, trust me I own about 20 of the white men's v-neck one's! I'm talking about a nicer, more fitted (if that's your style!) t-shirt. Once you find the perfect one, stock up! For me, its Victoria's Secret PINK V-Necks

PINK Essential V-Neck Tee, $16.50 each victoriassecret.com


-A skirt. Yea, I know you're a girl...you own like 28,634 skirts. But it's important to have one well fitting, figure flattering, black or grey skirt. Personally, I have a grey and a black that I wear the heck out of. Since I don't have a job and don't need to look professional, mine's a cotton skirt. If you're older, or have an internship, you might want to swap the cotton jersey skirt out for a nice pencil skirt.

BDG Ponte Mini Skirt, $38 urbanoutfitters.com


-A good flat. I love flats, and even though I'm super short, I live in flats (despite what my mom tries to get me to wear!). Again, in an ideal world, I'd own every color of the rainbow...I'm on my way to that believe me! But for now, try to have at least a basic color. Grey, Black, Navy, or even Ivory works well with several things.

BDG Marled Sweater Skimmer Shoe $28, urbanoutfitters.com






Of course, these are just the bare basics. I could probably go on for days and days and days...But then you'd get bored and not read this blog anymore and then I'd be sad.

After you assemble what YOUR personal key pieces are, expands with bright tops, pretty shoes, scarves, jewelry. A boring outfit can be made into something amazing and unique with good accessories. I'm forever on the search for more pretty shoes and scarves! Those two things are definitely my obsessions. What are your outfit makers?

No comments:

Post a Comment